Saratoga BWI Defense Lawyer
Boating while intoxicated (BWI) is a serious offense in New York State, carrying penalties comparable to those for driving while intoxicated. Defense attorney Katherine J. DeMartino understands the importance of protecting your rights and will provide experienced legal representation for clients facing Boating while intoxicated or impaired charges in Saratoga Springs and the greater Capital Region.
Speak to an Attorney Today
Tell us how we can be of service and Attorney Katherine DeMartino will contact you as soon as possible
Consequences of Boating While Intoxicated in New York State
Operation of a boat or watercraft while intoxicated and/or impaired by drugs is a misdemeanor offense under New York State Navigation Law §49. Second offenses, depending on the circumstances, can be considered felonies. Operating while intoxicated or impaired by drugs on popular waterways, such as Lake George or Saratoga Lake, can lead to significant legal and financial consequences, including:
- Fines and surcharges.
- Suspension or revocation of your privilege to operate a boat or watercraft.
- Suspension or revocation of your boating registration.
- Mandatory alcohol and substance abuse treatment.
- Incarceration, including state prison depending on the severity of the charge.
What Katherine’s Clients Say About Her
How an Experienced BWI Defense Attorney Can Help
An experienced attorney can help you develop a defense strategy tailored to your specific case, which may include:
- Challenging the accuracy of field sobriety and chemical tests used to determine intoxication or impairment;
- Arguing that the arresting officer lacked probable cause to arrest you;
- Questioning the determination that you were the operator of the boat.
Legal representation is crucial when facing boating while intoxicated or impaired charges. Attorney Katherine DeMartino’s knowledge of New York State Navigation Law, as well as her familiarity with the local waterways, can help provide you with a strong defense against these charges.
Criminal Defense Attorney Katherine DeMartino
At Katherine J. DeMartino, Esq., we are committed to providing personalized legal representation for clients in Saratoga Springs and the greater NY Capital Region who are facing charges under New York Navigation Law such as Boating While Intoxicated or Impaired.
To schedule a consultation with Katherine DeMartino, contact our office at (518) 400-5282 or fill out our online contact form.